Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Cheese Sunday

Another  Pinterest recipe success!

At this very moment, I am sitting next to my father and we are making a pretty big dent in some warm bean dip! It's just so....cheesy. Here's the original pin:



This was one of the very first things I pinned when I started using Pinterest.  But it's definitely a recipe that calls for an occasion and a group of people to share it with.  And, frankly, it screams "Super Bowl Snack!"  I mean, what's more "Super Bowl" than a dip that calls for FOUR CUPS OF CHEESE?!

Sidenote: I just relocated myself across the room because that is the only way I am going to stop shoveling this dip in my mouth.

I didn't go to any sort of Super Bowl party this year, but my parents and I went to my grandfathers house to "watch it" (I say that like I'll have any clue what is happening in the game...) and eat junk food—perfect time to try this recipe!  

Another Sidenote: Relocation did me no good.  I just walked across the room and stuffed my face some more.


It's a really simple recipe.  Mix some stuff up, cover it with cheese, pop it in the over, bada bing!  If you can open a can and open a bag, you can make this recipe. Unfortunately for me....

Apparently I've been using the can opener BACKWARDS for 20 years!  Add this to the list of things I can't do properly because I'm a lefty...

And...

Whoever is responsible for putting that little "Tear Here" notch in bags of cheese has it out for me.

But, I prevailed and ended up with this:

You gotta love a recipe that looks like this!

Mix everything up, pop it in a pan, and cook for 20-25 minutes.  Take it out, cover it with even more cheese, and cook about 5 minutes longer.  

Perfection.


AND if that wasn't enough cheese to get your arteries sweating, then take a gander at this:


Basically, my mother is a genius.  She took my favorite cheese (Brie) and wrapped it in crescent rolls.  And it's the definition of amazing.  The saltiness from the brie and the slight sweetness from the crescent rolls are perfect together.   To make these, just wrap a small wheel or a wedge of brie cheese (we used La Bonne Vie brand) with crescent rolls and bake according to the directions on the can of rolls.  Easy.  Breezy.  Delicious.

In general, I don't enjoy eating that much.  There are very few foods that are worth the calories or the resulting stomach ache to me.  But this dip and the brie and crescent rolls?  Totally worth it. There's just something about cheese...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to take a tums, run a marathon, do 1,000 sit ups, and make friends with the veggie tray.  

Happy snacking!

Warm Bean Dip
*Recipe found on "The Country Cook"
  • 2 cans (16-oz.) refried beans (I used fat free)
  • 1 can (10.5-oz) diced tomatoes (I couldn't find a 10-oz can, so I just used 14-oz.  It worked just fine)
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
  • 4 cups colby jack cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Drain excess juice from the tomatoes using a strainer.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine refried beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and 2 cups of cheese.
  4. Spray an 8x8 dish with cooking spray.  Pour combined ingredients into a dish a spread around evenly.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly heated through.
  6. Add remaining 2 cups of cheese and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
  7. Serve warm with your favorite tortilla chips.
*You can have fun with this recipe!  Try it with Rotel tomatoes or use mexican style or pepperjack  cheese.  Tweak it to your taste.


Hello broccoli.  You are so....not covered in cheese...










No comments:

Post a Comment