Monday, January 30, 2012

Asian Salad

Friends are fun.  Good food is fun.  The SAG awards are fun.  Put all three together, and you've got a lot of fun.

Last night, I got together with some friends at my friend Charlynn's house for soup, salad and SAGs!  It was a lot of fun.  We all brought a soup, salad, bread or sweet to share.  There was so much good food!  I brought asian salad and deep dark chocolate cookies!  

Asian salad is a recipe that my mom's made for a long time.  It's super yummy and my mom said I could share the recipe with all of you! 

What I love about this salad is that you can make it ahead of time!  Well, actually, you really need to make  it ahead of time.  Everything needs time to marinade.

First you need to crunch up a couple bags of ramen noodles and dump them in the bottom of a big bowl.  I think the ramen noodles might be my favorite part of the salad :)

Cover the noodle with a couple of bags of broccoli slaw, some sunflower seeds and some slivered almonds....

And then add some green onions...

I have a bit of a problem with onions.  I guess I'm just super sensitive.  They don't just make me cry.  They really make my eyes burn!  Even if the onions are in the next room.  So while chopping the green onions, my eyes started to burn really bad.  My mom remembered that at one point in the movie The Help, they mentioned that putting an unlit match between your teeth will help appease the onion burn.  I'm not sure if it worked, though, because we didn't really think to try this until after I chopped the onions.  I guess it took away the residual sting...


Now time for the dressing.  Take the two beef seasoning packets from your ramen noodles and mix it with sugar, oil and white vinegar.

Next, pour it all over the salad. 

Now, this next part is really important: DO NOT STIR IT!  Put a lid on it, put it in the fridge, and ignore it for 4-24 hours.  Don't stir it until just before you serve it.

If I were smart, I would have remembered to take a picture once I stirred it.  But I'm not smart, so I didn't.  But trust me...It's a pretty salad! And it's pretty tasty too :)

Keep an eye out for a post about the deep dark chocolate cookies and pictures from SAGgy Girls night! :)

Asian Salad
  • 2 packages broccoli slaw
  • 2 packages beef flavored ramen noodles
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 cup sunflower seed kernels
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup oil
  1. Break up your ramen noodle and dump them in the bottom of a large bowl.  Set the seasoning packets aside.
  2.  Add the broccoli slaw, almonds, sunflower kernels and green onions. 
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the seasoning packets from the ramen, vinegar, sugar and oil.  Whisk until thoroughly combined.  
  4. Pour the dressing over the salad.  DO NOT STIR!  Cover the salad and put it in the refrigerator for 4 – 24 hours. 
  5. Stir right before serving and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment