Sunday, January 1, 2012

One Last Peek in the Rearview Mirror

Once again, I found this little gem over at Little Mrs. Married.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I went to New York City, Center of the Universe.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2011 resolution was to keep a journal, which I kind of kept up with.  My twitter journal is kind of empty in the middle, but luckily I have four years to make up for it, seeing as its a 5-year journal.

This year, I have one resolution: To take better care of myself.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A couple of my friends welcomed beautiful baby girls this year.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I didn't know him personally, but a young man in my theatre community was killed in a car accident this past September.  Theatre communities tend to be really tight-nit and his loss was definitely felt throughout this entire community, even by those of us who weren't lucky enough to know him.

5. What countries did you visit?
No border crossing for me this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn’t have in 2011?
I know I've opened up a lot on this blog, but I think I'm going to refrain from answering this question on here.  At the moment, I think this answer is too personal to share.

7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
My week in New York in April, getting together and making things "official" with my boyfriend, losing my boyfriend.

8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Getting things together so that I could graduate from undergrad in three years instead of four.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't know if I could tag anything as a "failure," this year.  I guess some could say that since my relationship ended, then it was a failure.  But I gave that relationship my all—mind, body and soul.  I don't want to think about something that I gave so much of myself to as a failure.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Luckily, no!  Usually, my immune system sucks, but I started taking vitamin C at the beginning of the year and didn't get sick nearly as much as I usually do.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I treated myself to an awesome TV and Blu-Ray player when I moved into my apartment at the beginning of the semester (and I got a good price!) Plus, I think I did pretty awesome on the Christmas present front this year :)  That feeling you get when you've found the perfect present for someone is one of the best feelings in the world.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I have better parents than I deserve.  The last few months of 2011 were tough on the Wright kids and I am so lucky to have parents who have been by my side through this whole mess.  I am thankful for them every minute of every day.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The PostSecret App was shut down earlier this week because of a few people posting a ton of malicious content.  It got so out of control that there was no way the moderators could keep up with it.  It makes me so sad because I've actually gotten some support from that app the past couple of months.  It's so sad how a few malicious people can ruin someone that is so beneficial for so many.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, gas, Amazon.com and Anne Taylor Loft.

15. What did you get really excited about?
For a while, I was really excited about my future.  For now, I'm just kind of meh.  It's kind of hard to be excited about anything right now. 
I am excited about my future career, though.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Fade Into You—Mazzy Star


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?  Sadder.  Much sadder.

b) thinner or fatter? Thinner. 
c) richer or poorer? Rich is not normally a word I use to describe myself, but I am richer now than I was last year.  I got better about saving my money this year.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Living in the moment.
Praying.
Taking care of myself.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Giving my negative emotions more control than my positive emotions.

20. How will/did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my family in North Carolina.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Over and over again. I know it was love because I still feel it even though he doesn't anymore.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Gilmore Girls and Big Bang Theory.

23. What was the best book you read?
Guys, this is awful.  I cannot name a single book that I read this year.  It was all textbooks.  
Maybe I should add that to my list of resolutions: Read More. 
Or could that possibly be grouped into "Take Better Care of Myself"?  I think it could.

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Really started listening to Ben Folds this year.  It started with his University Acapella album and grew from there.

25. What did you want and get?
  An apartment and a super flexible, wonderful job.

26. What did you want and not get? 

I wanted to keep my boyfriend.


27. What was your favorite film of 2011?
Shakespeare in Love.  I know, it came out way before 2011, but I didn't see it until this past year and I am completely in love with it.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 20.  My mom made me a wonderful dinner and cake at home, which was very nice.  Unfortunately, it was only 9 days after my relationship ended, so....I cried.  A giant german chocolate cake was put in front of me and I cried. 

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My relationship not ending. I wish both parties would have felt that it was worth the effort.
I feel like a broken record, but it is what it is.  

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Simple, classic, understated.  I'm not a fan of flashy outfits, especially not on me.

31. What kept you sane?
A family that loves me more than I deserve, my cat, Misty, this blog, wonderful friends, and rekindling my relationship with God.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The war on Women's Reproductive Rights that is happening in our country terrifies me.
I am not ashamed to say that I am pro-choice.  I doesn't mean I am pro-abortion.  It means that when it comes to another woman's body, I believe that neither I nor the government should have any say in the matter. 

33. Who did you miss?
Broken Record.  
My ex-boyfriend. (It still feels so wrong to use that term to refer to him.  And I have to try really hard to ignore the fact that that means he refers to me as his ex-girlfriend or else I'll fall off the deep end.)

34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
It is ok to cry.  It is ok to hurt.  It is ok to love.  And when in doubt, pray. 

35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." - Moulin Rouge

I actually wasn't crazy about that movie the first time I saw it. I actually really liked the story, but the crazy filming style made me feel anxious and panicky and like I was constantly on the verge of passing out, which isn't fun.  But that quote hasn't left my head since I saw it.  I love it.  It's so true. I was going to wait a few months and then give it Moulin Rouge rewatch, but....shit happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment