Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Always Said I Was Born In the Wrong Decade

But perhaps I was wrong.

I've never liked any of my yearbook pictures, but I've realized that they could have been a lot worse.

I always thought I belonged in the 50s. I would walk down the street every morning to high school wearing my poofy skirt and saddle shoes. And when I was just far enough away from the house that my parents could not see me, I would meet up with my super swell boy who would carry my books and let me wear his letterman jacket when I was cold. Because he was the star quarterback of the football team. Duh. But I now see that I would instead be the girl that spent all of her time in the corner of the library. The girl whose name nobody could quite remember. The girl who would every now and then walk face first into the star quarterback's locker just as he opened it.



See? What's her name. Graduated in Down-the-Street High School's class of 1952.

Or maybe the 70s? I would straighten my hair on my mother's ironing board and wear flowers in my hair and protest EVERYTHING and burn my bras and get a peace sign tatooed on my ass!



Or maybe I would just go back to the library...

But the 80s! Yes! High school in the 80s! I would wear giant bows and neon colors and cut the collars out of all of my t-shirts and sweatshirts and wear brightly-colored chunky, plastic hoop earrings! I would be totally awesome!



Ok....back to the library.

But if I were in high school in 1992 instead of a mere infant, I would crimp my hair and wear oversized sweatshirts and parachute pants and press-on nails and other stereotypical 90s things! I would be the girl that everyone wanted to be or be with!



I know..I know...Library.

But if I graduated in 2000! What if instead of being a chubby second grader wearing a plaid jumper I was that popular high school senior who surfed the world wide web and talked on her chunky cell phone and walked around wearing shirts that were always just a few inches too short and danced to N*Sync, Brittany Spears, Christina Aquilera, and had a poster of the Backstreet boys on the ceiling about her bed. And I would always put my Tamagotchi pet's needs before my own.



Or, me, my flat hair, giant head, and Nelson the Tamagotchi would just stay in the library.

So yes, I have been shown the error of my thoughts. Sure, I still spent almost all of my lunch periods in the library during high school. But at least my hair was somewhat tame and my clothes were somewhat stylish (though I seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Cardigan Sweaters over white shirts). And in high school 2010, you really couldn't ask for much more than a few pictures that were decent enough to post on Facebook. At least I had that.



And there is nothing wrong with the library.

How disastrous would you have looked in decades past? Find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment