Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hey, Stranger

I haven't blogged in almost a month, which is kind of pathetic. A lot has happened since I last blogged.

I started my second semester at LSU, and I can tell it's going to be difficult. I'm taking 17 hours, which is the same amount as I took last semester. This semester, 16 of those hours are academic classes, compared to the 14 hours of academic classes I took last semester. I decided to drop my music minor because it was such a heavy minor and it was turning music, which I love, into work. This semester, my one non-academic course is a musical theatre class, which I'm loving so far. It's keeping me sane.

Crimes of the Heart opened.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/entertainment/arts/113616089.html
I have never gotten such an enthusiastic response from an audience before. And it's consistent. Every meet and greet, an overwhelming number of audience members who just can't tell me enough how much they loved the show. I've even had several patrons tell me it's one of the best shows they have seen at the theater! I've also had several people who I have worked with before and admire and respect tell me that they enjoyed the show and are proud of me. Those comments are the ones that mean the most to me.

Well, now that I've written all of that out, it doesn't seem like that much. But it is! I promise. I've been so busy. I'm having a blast, but I'm ready for a break.

And surprise! I got one. Temperatures in Baton Rouge have been hovering around freezing for the past couple of days and we're expecting rain tonight (well, we were actually expecting freezing rain all day, but I've yet to see any of it), so Baton Rouge has pretty much shut down, including LSU. No classes tomorrow! Unfortunately, tonight performance of Crimes of the Heart was also cancelled, which is a bummer. But I decided to turn lemons into lemonade (which, if you're familiar with Crimes of the Heart, you now is a very Babe thing to do). I decided to come home tonight just so I could be a little more relaxed and get the most of my time off. Right now, I'm watching the original The Phantom of the Opera from 1925 starring Lon Chaney as The Phantom. It's on Netflix instant streaming. It's a silent movie, so you really have to pay attention. I'm really enjoying it. It clarifies some gray areas in the Andrew Lloyd Weber version. For instance, I never quite understood the whole "Hand at the level of your eyes" thing, but I do now. I think it's a lot darker than the musical and at some points, I find it downright scary (but I'm a wuss, so that might just be me). If you're a Phanton fan, it's definitely worth a watch. The movie is based on the book by Gaston Leroux, which I've been wanting to read since middle school, but here I am in college and I have yet to get to it.

I think that's it....but I'll leave you with a couple of relevant pictures.


This picture appeared alongside an article about Crimes of the Heart in my local newspaper.


Lon Chaney: The Original Phantom. He does not look like Gerard Butler.


And last, but not least, my perfect kitty, Misty, who is been peacefully lying in her bed next to me all evening.

I hope this post made sense. It's getting late and I'm exhausted. It might all just be complete gibberish.

No comments:

Post a Comment